Thursday, January 8, 2009

Not just the Ugly American

In College Lit we had to do a journal on when we were aware of somthing that made us different or somewhat uniqe.

I chose the time when I was in Norway. I had a few difficulties with the language. Somewhat unfortunate that I looked similar to the Norweigan sterotype. I had light hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. This made all the locals think I was a Norsk, their slang for Norweigan.

Once people started to talk to me they soon realized there was one thing missing, I had no idea what they were saying to me. I only knew how to say a few things in Norweigan: I only speak a little Norweigan, My hovercraft is full of eels, Ja, and a few others.

This was a dead give away for me being an American. Since I tried to speak their language me and my family were not considered the "Ugly American Tourists".

No comments: